Assignment: Writing! Weblog Hall of Fame

Welcome to the Weblog Hall of Fame for the Assignment: Writing! contest, featuring winning entries for each contest. If you are an aspiring writer who would like to write stories like these, or if you're looking for a free and simple way to exercise writing skill and receive critiques, I hope you'll join us. Membership in CGalliance forums (also free) is all you need to join in on the current assignment: www.cgalliance.org/forums

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Winning Entry for 12/9, by cc.slim

Assignment: Your character runs into someone he/she hasn't seen in a long time.


Team gather around the coach blared before blowing his whistle. I gathered a couple of basketballs and tossed them to Link the assistant coach and hustled over to the huddle of players.
Team, today we are going to work on ball handling skills and hustle with these drills. Baby hands take these three and Chairman and work on inside control, lay-ups on three and you bozo’s up here with me boomed Coach Carter.

Hey Baby hands that’s a basketball not a handful of teat shouted Josh as the rest of us chuckled because we knew Tim alias Baby hands worked on his family dairy and we knew he knew the difference because as a team leader he knew how to handle the basketball.
Quiet Josh we know you’re here to keep from going home and working with your daddy so we’ll see if I can’t replace what you’re avoiding growled the coach. Ok, you six work on doing the crisscross with lay-ups until I get back. Nathan, come with me the coach said as he turned towards the locker room.

Now what could have I done I thought, my grades are fine and I practiced hard at every practice. Nathan, I got word from Sally that you needed to leave early to go home and let me tell you that I’m sorry for your loss and we’ll see you when you get back the coach said in a softly. Also congratulations on the scholarship to Oklahoma University. Thanks coach, I want to play my last year in high school so I’ll hurry back I replied. Great now get out of here Coach Carter said as he slapped my back.

I chuckle to myself because hearing Coach Carter talking soft and how Sally is always looking out for us students.
As I enter down into the locker room I hear a familiar voice.
I turned and was face to face with my childhood friend William. I squared him up for he has grown in the two years since we’ve seen each other. You have aged well Nathan, he retorted first with his patented sideways smile. Look whose talking old man I snapped back as I went to hug him. Whoa slow down there Nathan this is a two hundred dollar suit and freshly starched and I don’t want it wrinkled so Here, lets see if you still have that sissy grip of a handshake. Now, working hard at the mill I have developed quite a grip along with upper body strength. Quickly I grasp his hand and give him my almost famous smile. Oh ok that’s has changed since I left as he quickly shaking off my hand. Nathan, I have an appointment that I can’t be late for but I just had to see you he said briskly as he turned to leave adding stop by Mickey’s around seven tonight and we’ll talk more as the locker door closed behind him before I could reply.

My minds starts racing.